Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Disneynature Bears Movie Review

  I'm going to be honest (nature documentaries not being at the top of my list of favorite film genres)  I wondered how Disneynature BEARS  would be able to hold my interest for a full hour and 26 minutes.  I thought I needed that interactive dialogue between characters to be entertained.

Bears 2014 film.jpg But I was wrong.  Only minutes in,  I was captivated by the breathtaking Alaskan scenery and the narrated story of mama bear Skye and her adorable cubs Scout and Amber. Their story begins at the end of hibernation season and takes you through their journey to find food for the following winter's hibernation. Along the way, the viewer gets the pleasure of witnessing the relationship between mother and cubs as she teaches them life lessons and is forced to protect them from predators. I never really thought about how relatable a bear's life might be to my own but as I watched the film I found that to be the case. I  even laughed commiseratingly during one scene where Skye got frustrated with her cubs when they wouldn't move fast enough down the mountain. I get it. I've been there.

Disneynature BEARS is an entertaining docufilm that I'd be hard pressed to find anything wrong with (if anything the very young may be scared by a "tussle" between bears but it's a few seconds of posturing and roaring that's over as quickly as it started).   Ultimately, be prepared for complete cuteness and a wholesome film the family can enjoy together.

Disneynature BEARS opens Friday April 18th.

*All opinions are my own. I received complimentary entry to an advance screening to facilitate this review. No other form of compensation was received


No comments: